An alternative, inexpensive way to help you boost energy levels and ease anxiety is with essential oils! The benefits of natural aromas on our emotional and mental health are often underestimated. Here are some scents that have been commonly used for centuries:
• Peppermint – improves focus, boosts energy, alleviates muscle pain and headaches
• Rosemary – uplifting energy, improves brain function and memory
• Sage – memory enhancing, speeds metabolism, energizing
• Lavender – stress reducing, calming, helps with insomnia
• Eucalyptus – invigorating, improves respiratory issues, enhances concentration
• Sandalwood – grounding, eases tension, calming, relieves headaches
• Rose – helps with depression and anxiety, destressing, regulate sleep
• Citrus – uplifting, immunity boosting, cleansing, boosts creativity
Dilution is important with the highly concentrated essential oils so use a diffuser or a few drops in your bath. The easiest way is to use it topically by using a carrier oil (olive/coconut/almond oil) to place a drop or two on pulse points! There is increasing evidence of aromatherapy’s mood-altering effects, which is due to the part of the limbic system that’s linked to emotions and memories. Definitely check the label to make sure it’s high quality oil rather than synthetic. Self-care is key in our super busy lives!
Carolina Braga and Thieu Vo, D1s, both use a diffuser while studying or before sleeping. Carolina also makes an essential oils roll-on!
Author: Hema Patidar, Class of 2022