You are what you eat. Time can escape us during dental school, but it is important that we are receiving the essential macronutrients and micronutrients that our body requires. Food is fuel and the diet we consume can dictate our energy levels and how we perform on a given day. Here are some healthy and convenient recipes:
Health Hack: Smoothies
There's nothing easier than blending a nice combination of some ingredients you have lying around to create a delicious smoothie that contains all the nutrients you need for that kick start in your day. You can play around with the ingredients as well to keep it interesting
Template for the perfect smoothie:
ASDA's Wellness Smoothie:
Other Supplemental Smoothie Ingredients:
Pineapple, Coconut Water, Blueberries, Strawberries, Acai, Sorbet, Kale, Watermelon, Mango, Greek Yogurt, the list is endless....
Health Hack: Meal Prepping
Eating balanced is the key, including meals that include a sufficient amount of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Eating healthy does not have to be plain, experiment cooking and find the perfect recipes that make the food taste desirable. Keep what you do consistent and you are guaranteed to meet your lifestyle goals.
Meal Prepping is a really helpful tool for us busy students. Taking out some time on the weekend or a free weeknight to cook meals ahead in time can keep your stress free during those busy days.
Here are some quick and easy recipes that are also really nutritious:
Delicious Meal Prep Chicken and Rice for the Go:
Salmon Fish Tacos:
1. Pat salmon dry, if necessary, then evenly season all sides of the filets with salt, pepper, and spices.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. When oil is hot but not smoking, add salmon. Cook until deeply golden, about 5 to 6 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until salmon is opaque.
3. Let rest and cool slightly, then flake into large pieces.
4. Make pineapple avocado salsa: In a medium bowl, add pineapple, avocado, onion, tomatoes, and lime juice. Season with salt and toss to combine.
5. Assemble tacos: Top tortillas with salmon, avocado salsa, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
As dental students, life can get busy. Taking the time to take care of yourself is crucial for your mental and physical health. Here are some tips from our Wellness Committee on what you can do to help stay healthy!
To start of this year’s Wellness Wednesday Posts we are going to give you a few nutrient filled and delicious smoothie recipes!
The 'right way to start clinic' energy smoothie
3/4 cup frozen pineapple
3/4 cup frozen mango cubes
3/4 cup 100% orange juice
1 tbsp chia seeds
A big handful of spinach